For the purpose of the Act, the data controller is New Media Education Limited of 54 Ladysmith Road, Exeter, EX1 2PU. Our nominated representative (Data Protection Officer) for the purpose of the Act is Alastair Buick.
- "Act" General Data Protection Regulation
- "Contributions" material contributed to Our Site by You or other Users including but not limited to textual content, images or video);
- "You" the users of Our Site;
- "Your" the users of Our Site’s;
- "We" New Media Education Limited;
- "Us" New Media Education Limited;
- "Our" New Media Education Limited’s; and
- "Our Site" meducation.net
- "Personal Data" is Data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
- "Usage Data" is Data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit)."
- "Data Processor" is any person (other than an employee of the Data Controller) who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. We may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
- "Service Provider" means Data Processor
- "Data Subject" is any living individual who is the subject of Personal Data.
The headings are for convenience only and will not affect the interpretation of these Terms.
Unless the context otherwise requires the singular will include the plural and vice versa, references to any gender will include references to other genders, references to persons will include bodies corporate, unincorporated associations and partnerships.
References on these Terms to any statute or statutory provision will include any statute or statutory provision which before or (in the case of consolidation only) after the date of these Terms amends, extends, consolidates, or replaces the same and will include any order, regulation, instrument or other sub-ordinate legislation made under the relevant statute or statutory provision.
Information we may collect from YouBack to top
2.1 While using our Service, we collect information to provide a better service to You and all of our Users. We collect both information you give us, as well as information we may get from your use of our services. We collect information in the following ways:
Information you may give us:
- Contact details such as name, address, and email address.
- If you fill in your personal profile, you may add personal information such as a bio, place of work or study, speciality or areas of interests, and personal links to social media accounts (examples include Twitter, GooglePlus, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Klout, Gravatar, GitHub, Quora, Personal Websites).
- Any information you submit through Communication data such as posts on Our Site
- If You contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence to help deal with any request or feedback that you may have provided.
Information we may get from your use of our services
- IP address - We may collect information about Your computer, including where available Your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. We may use aggregate to help improve our service as well as feedback this information to Our advertisers. This is statistical data about Our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
- Cookies - Cookies contain information that is transferred to Your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve Our Site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- to estimate Our audience size and usage pattern.
- to store information about Your preferences, and so allow us to customise Our Site according to Your individual interests.
- to speed up Your searches.
- to recognise You when You return to Our Site.
- Geolocation - we may collect geolocation data. This can be used to set preferences such as language preferences. We may also use this information to help correlate payment information.
- Tracking links - We may give specific links to our partner sites, which are used to refer people to our service. We can track users which have arrived through this tracking link. This helps us makes sure we provide the right service to the right user and support our work with our partners.
- Activity data - we may log details of Your visits to Our Site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that You access.
How we use information that we collectBack to top
5.1 We use information held about You in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from Our Site is presented in the most effective manner for You and for Your computer,
- to provide You with information, products or services that You request from us or which We feel may interest You, where You have given your consent to be contacted for such purposes,
- to allow You to participate in interactive features of Our service, when You choose to do so.
- to notify You about changes to Our service,
- to provide and maintain our Service,
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so,
- to provide customer support,
- to gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service,
- to monitor the usage of our Service,
- to detect, prevent and address technical issues.
How do we share this information?Back to top
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to Our advertisers. We may provide them with aggregate information about Our users (for example, We may inform them that 500 members with an interest in Respiratory Medicine have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal data We have collected from You to enable us to comply with Our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Payments for subscriptions are conducted through a payment service provider. We do not store or process credit or debit care details when paying for a subscription or product. Payments are securely processed by one of our payment providers. Payments can be accepted using Stripe or Paypal. In the event that you purchase a subscription or product, your data will be sent to these providers to process the payment. Data shared with these providers includes:
- Credit or debit card numbers are received directly and not processed by Us
- Email address
- Submitted location data, such as country or address
- IP Address
- Geolocation data
Our emails are sent using a third party service. Your email address, name and location may be shared with these services. We use SparkPost to send emails through our platform. Marketing emails may be sent through MailChimp. Data shared with these providers may include:
- Email address
- Email content
- IP Address
- Geolocation data
Where We store Your personal dataBack to top
All information You provide to us is stored on Our secure servers. We currently use Amazon Web Servers. Where You have chosen a password which enables You to access certain parts of Our Site, You are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask You not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although We will do Our best to protect Your personal data, We cannot guarantee the security of Your data transmitted to Our Site; and any transmission is at Your own risk. Once We have received Your information, We will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Personal data may be processed under Legitimate Interests where processing is necessary for the purpose of preventing fraud. This may include verifying that the registered address of the cardholder for a particular credit or debit card is the same as the cardholder’s normal place of residence or work.
We will continue to retain data about our active members. If we do not log any activity from You for over 3 years, we will delete your Personal Data. We have chosen this retention time as a number of our users will have breaks in their training or learning, and subsequently may have similar breaks in activity.
How can you manage the information we hold about you?
You can manage your personal information at My Settings.
You have the right to receive a copy of your personal data free of charge in a commonly used electronic format. However, We can charge a ‘reasonable fee’ when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive.
If you wish to have your Personal Data removed, you can request that your account be deleted. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will endeavour to respond to requests within one month of receipt.
Please be aware that information published on Our Site may be indexed by other sites, such as search engines. We will not be able to control how long this content is indexed for.
You have the right to ask us not to process Your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform You (before collecting Your data) if We intend to use Your data for such purposes or if We intend to disclose Your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise Your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms We use to collect Your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
ContactBack to top